Welcome!

Thursday, 4 February 2010

Dorset’s Internet Safety Day

In an effort to keep children and young people safe online, Dorset is hosting its third internet safety day.
Dorset Police, Chief Inspector Cregg said: “Criminal activity in relation to the internet is a growing problem.”
The event will offer advice about how to stay safe online, using social-networking sites safely and the potential effects of cyber-bullying.
Margaret, 64, of Christchruch said: “I’ve got a teenage daughter and 12 year old son who are always on the interent. I think the event is a great idea because I don’t know what they’re doing half the time or how to keep them safe.”
The event will consist of a variety of interactive presentations and people over the age of 18 will be given the opportunity to watch ‘It happens in Dorset’. This hard-hitting presentation will show interviews with a young online grooming victim and her mother.
Chief Inspector Cregg added: “I want to make parents aware of the potential risks attached to the internet and give them the information they need to help safeguard their children.”
An invite has been received by every school in Dorset and parents, carers and children are being encouraged to attend the event which attracted more than 300 people last year.
The event, linked to National Internet Safety Day (Tuesday 9 February), is being held at The Mulberry Centre, Weymouth, on Saturday, 6 February and at the Children’s Centre in Poole on Saturday, 13 February.
The free public event, organised by Dorset’s Safe School and Communities Team is supported by Dorset Police, Bournemouth Borough Council, Borough of Poole, Dorset County Council, South West Grid For Learning and the Local Safeguarding Children’s Boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment