People who have eaten oysters from Weymouth in the last week are being urged to consult their GP.
Diarrheic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP) produced by algal toxins has been found in bivalve molluscs, such as mussels, clams, oysters and scallops, in Littlesea on the Fleet in Weymouth.
Weymouth Port Health Authority food and safety manager Nigel Emery said: “I have issued a temporary closure notice to the commercial grower not to harvest any more oysters until we know from sampling that there’s no more toxin risk.”
A national surveillance programme is run by CEFAS and co-ordinated by the Food Standards Agency to check the level of toxins in the sea where bivalve molluscs are grown. The monthly sampling programme looks for the presence of certain algae on commercial seabeds that can cause illness if they start producing toxins.
Fleet Oyster Farm owner Nigel Bloxham, who harvests Littlesea oysters to serve at his restaurant the Crab House Café, admitted that the closure notice will affect him but refused to comment further.
Other Dorset businesses are staying positive. C Quest Shellfish owner John Boughton said: “Nobody should knock those oysters, the tests have probably just picked up the run off of fresh water. I’m still going to eat them, nothing will poison me.”
Dorset Seafood Festival co-ordinator Paul Mills said: “Prior to the seafood festival there was a huge oyster festival in Weymouth for about 15 years in Hope Square. This would have put a real dampener on that, but there’s not going to be a shortage of things for people to try at the seafood festival.”
The symptoms of DSP include diarrhoea, vomiting, cramps and headaches.
The local authorities will now take a weekly sample until two consecutive negative results are produced before lifting the ban.
Welcome!
Saturday, 20 February 2010
Thursday, 4 February 2010
Dorset’s Internet Safety Day
In an effort to keep children and young people safe online, Dorset is hosting its third internet safety day.
Dorset Police, Chief Inspector Cregg said: “Criminal activity in relation to the internet is a growing problem.”
The event will offer advice about how to stay safe online, using social-networking sites safely and the potential effects of cyber-bullying.
Margaret, 64, of Christchruch said: “I’ve got a teenage daughter and 12 year old son who are always on the interent. I think the event is a great idea because I don’t know what they’re doing half the time or how to keep them safe.”
The event will consist of a variety of interactive presentations and people over the age of 18 will be given the opportunity to watch ‘It happens in Dorset’. This hard-hitting presentation will show interviews with a young online grooming victim and her mother.
Chief Inspector Cregg added: “I want to make parents aware of the potential risks attached to the internet and give them the information they need to help safeguard their children.”
An invite has been received by every school in Dorset and parents, carers and children are being encouraged to attend the event which attracted more than 300 people last year.
The event, linked to National Internet Safety Day (Tuesday 9 February), is being held at The Mulberry Centre, Weymouth, on Saturday, 6 February and at the Children’s Centre in Poole on Saturday, 13 February.
The free public event, organised by Dorset’s Safe School and Communities Team is supported by Dorset Police, Bournemouth Borough Council, Borough of Poole, Dorset County Council, South West Grid For Learning and the Local Safeguarding Children’s Boards.
Dorset Police, Chief Inspector Cregg said: “Criminal activity in relation to the internet is a growing problem.”
The event will offer advice about how to stay safe online, using social-networking sites safely and the potential effects of cyber-bullying.
Margaret, 64, of Christchruch said: “I’ve got a teenage daughter and 12 year old son who are always on the interent. I think the event is a great idea because I don’t know what they’re doing half the time or how to keep them safe.”
The event will consist of a variety of interactive presentations and people over the age of 18 will be given the opportunity to watch ‘It happens in Dorset’. This hard-hitting presentation will show interviews with a young online grooming victim and her mother.
Chief Inspector Cregg added: “I want to make parents aware of the potential risks attached to the internet and give them the information they need to help safeguard their children.”
An invite has been received by every school in Dorset and parents, carers and children are being encouraged to attend the event which attracted more than 300 people last year.
The event, linked to National Internet Safety Day (Tuesday 9 February), is being held at The Mulberry Centre, Weymouth, on Saturday, 6 February and at the Children’s Centre in Poole on Saturday, 13 February.
The free public event, organised by Dorset’s Safe School and Communities Team is supported by Dorset Police, Bournemouth Borough Council, Borough of Poole, Dorset County Council, South West Grid For Learning and the Local Safeguarding Children’s Boards.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)